The Smooth Collie Club was founded in 1955 and became the Smooth Collie Club of Great Britain in 1960.
The main objectives of the Club are to promote the breed and encourage the breeding of sound Collies, free of exaggeration and with good temperaments that meet the Breed Standard.
The first officers and committee numbered amongst them the most famous of Smooth Collie enthusiasts of those early days. The first President was the Rt. Hon the Earl of Northesk, the first Chairman, Hubert Farrington; Mrs Leslie took the positions of Secretary and Treasurer. Committee members comprised Mesdames Farrington, Rhys, Robertson, Sawdon and Miss Dundas-Mouat.
Membership subscriptions are due on 1st January each year and are as follows:
- UK single or joint – £7.00 (maximum of 2 persons)
- UK junior – 50p
- Overseas £7.00 (electronic correspondence only)
Membership includes our newsletter The Smooth Look and reduced entry to Club shows. More information can be found here.
For Show Secretaries there is a list of judges to download that meet the Club criteria. For inclusion on the Club list please read our criteria and complete an application form. The Club also runs a popular judges’ training programme held in three parts:
- for aspiring judges with no previous experience or for those wishing to learn more about assessing the Smooth Collie but who do not wish to judge;
- for those with some experience who wish to advance within the Club’s list and progress towards CC status;
- for those experienced judges wishing to gain promotion to the Club’s A list.
Information will be published on this website (under Education Resources) when further seminars are planned.
Special classes are also being added to SCCGB Open Shows to enable experienced judges to have hands-on experience and obtain sufficient numbers to proceed up the lists.
Marianne Benton, 4 Crepping Hall Cottages, Crepping Hall Road, Wakes Colne, Colchester Essex CO6 2AL