The aim of the Smooth Collie Club of Great Britain is to foster the interests of the Smooth Collie. The welfare of the Smooth Collie must be the member’s primary concern.
All members of the Smooth Collie Club of Great Britain must undertake to abide by its General Code of Ethics.
1. Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operations to the Kennel Club.
3. Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4. Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5. Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6. Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or the breed.
7. Will not allow any of their dogs to roam free at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8. Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9. Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10. Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the rehoming of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11. Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12. Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13. Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14. Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15. Will not mate Blue Merle to Blue Merle due to the risk of producing defective, double-dilute white merles.
16. That mating Blue Merles to Sable & Whites is undesirable.
17. Members will when breeding dogs, adopt as a minimum standard the principles, requirements and recommendations as embodied in the Kennel Club Assured Breeder Scheme. Members who breed or who offer a dog at stud might consider applying to join the Scheme.
18. All members must comply with Compulsory Microchipping Laws
19. Will abide by the Smooth Collie Club of Great Britain’s Social Media Policy.
20. Will behave in a suitable manner at any organised canine event. Un-sportsmanlike behaviour reflects adversely on the Club and its good name and will not be tolerated.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
Last updated June 2018